I have no money and my job may or may not be super dead-end and I am exhausted due to a late night out with an undergrad friend and ready to climb under my desk to nap and why is my desk so messy anyway and wouldn't it be nice if offices had tea carts like British trains and brought round tea and Crunchie bars? I think it would be very nice indeed. Oh and here are some beautiful jewelles that I would like to wear on my fingers. Thursday, let's power on through.
Tuesday, May 14, 2013
This has been my spring of discontent. I'm really uncomfortable in our apartment, it has too many things in it, it's too small and there are a lot of little things that are driving me insane. I resolved to fix the things that caused me to feel bad and not worry about everything else (my life is not a photo shoot). In the spirit of the 30 x 30 list (I've already made an appointment for #25 the facial and I'm saving up for my painting) I decided to make a list of concrete things that will make our apartment easier to use, more comfortable. Things that alleviate guilt and make help our house feel homier.
- Get the leg fixed on Nana’s desk
- Move couch to Elle’s and rearrange furniture (my little sister needs a couch and I have one too many)
- Put glass in corner cabinet
- Purge glassware and vases etc (this means ALL the Ball canning jars. Does anyone have a good method of storing those little bastards?)
- Replace plates with something that won’t score and chip constantly
- Purge books (seriously, just do this one)
- Come up with system for mail (maybe an old letter holder)
- Get table for entryway (I have fantasies about a tall narrow apothecary drawer thingy or a card catalogy looking thing, a drawer for dog leash, for David’s keys. I can't find a reproduction one that isn't gross and I can't find an antique one that fits my incredibly strict size limits, now that Ikea doesn’t sell Moppe anymore I have fantasies about getting my parents favourite furniture maker to make one)
- Frame Pennant (YES! For Christmas Dave got me the vintage HC pennant I’d been pining for!)
- Get chair from Mom and Dad’s (remember this sucker?)
- Reupholster chair (with what magestic magic?)
- New Living Room Rug (like this?)
- Living room art (rearrange, reassess with rearranged furniture)
- Entry way light fixture (how do I hang it over a bare bulb? Can I make this or is that cray?)
- Welcome mat (to keep the never ending mess tracked in on pet and human feet in the hall. Now, what kind???)
Monday, May 13, 2013
This weekend we had friends from out of town and we went to museums and ate lots of Chinese food in China town and spent hours in Room and Board and Home Rule and Good Wood because these friends love a good vase as much as me.
We've been stressed and Dave's been finishing finals but having visitors drags us out of our corner of the District and makes us visit museums and leave our routine a bit. It's a nice change of pace.
Also: I managed to not buy this record of Richard Burton reading John Donne. I'm a sucker for any reading of The Relique. "All Meas
Friday, May 10, 2013
Or these fake ones.
Monday, May 6, 2013
Coming back to work on a Mnday after a weekend at the farm is officially a terrible thing. It's rainy and cold and there isn't a pony or a fuzzy dog or a sweet sister in sight. My sister and I made throw pillows and the other sister is a pro with eyebrows and took care of mine and one of them bought me this mascara and it is as good as they say it was. My pretty curling hair isn't even curling because of the rain, it's just frizzing, and I've got to start the trip down HELL lane that is becoming a vegan for three weeks (my MD is insisting). Is there anything worse than Mondays?
Friday, May 3, 2013
I’m off to my parents farm this weekend. I’m seeing my stylist (I always go back to the same girl who has been doing my hair since I was sixteen) for a keratin treatment (I hope I look like Veronica Lake magically afterwards) and maybe a trip to the flea market to keep an eye out for a cake stand or some lovely blue mason jars. Every time I’m at the flea market I want to be one of these people who buys things in the country and sells them on Etsy but I might not be on top of it enough yet to do that. Instead I'll just keep an eye out for all the things the Best-Friend-From-High-School needs for her new apartment. My littlest sister and I are going to make throw pillows with freezer paper stencils (my new fave) and I’m going to eat all of my mother’s delicious cooking.
Have a good weekend!
Thursday, May 2, 2013
The thing I don't like about living with David, living with any man really, is that you can't have as many pink things, as many things with flowers and maybe little foxes. I wonder if I could talk him into one on the gallery wall? Kari Herer's gorgeous animals with flowers are among my favourite things I've seen this year.